Impact Safety Test Engineer
The Impact Safety Test Engineer is responsible for the planning, preparing, and performing impact safety-related testing and ensuring successful completion of full-size vehicle, component and/or occupant sled testing. This role requires knowledge in domestic and global regulatory requirements.
- Reviewing impact test regulations and test request provided by requestor, providing work instructions to Salaried Bargaining Unit technicians, mechanics, and photographers, performing test to regulations and post test data validations.
- Ensuring the test data collection systems are properly configured and are capturing the required test data.
- Interfacing with equipment suppliers/internal departments to coordinate calibrations/repair, keep up on current software and hardware best practices.
- Performing onsite physical prep and test, working with the vehicle, test related hardware and software.
- Development and implementation of new test methods and/or equipment.
- Familiarity with global component and vehicle impact test regulations and may also involve managing improvements to department processes.
- Please note, this role is for 1st shift, as well as providing support 7 days/week and holidays as required.
- Bachelor's of Science in Engineering from an ABET accredited University.
- 1-3 years of automotive experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office & MS Teams
- Ability to work independently and well within a team.
- Detail Oriented and strong communication skills
- The candidate must also possess and demonstrate strong planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage several continuous improvement initiatives and engineering projects without disruption of day-to-day testing activities - all with minimal supervision.
- Effective operation of precise data acquisition equipment and software or demonstrate capabilities for mastering these systems in adequate time.
- Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering or Mechatronics Engineering from an ABET accredited University or Masters Electrical Engineering.
- Familiarity with Hypergraph Analytical Software, Canalizer, Math-lab software and Omega Temp loggers a plus
- 3-5 years’ experience in automotive test facility, impact testing preferred.
- Basic knowledge of LEAN principles and process improvement practices.
- Basic knowledge of standard problem-solving techniques (8D, fishbone analysis, 5-Why, etc).
- Basic knowledge of automotive restraint systems (airbag, seat belts, etc.) and interior trim assembly (instrument panels, seats, door trim).
- Exposure to working with or supervising a unionized workforce.
- Familiarity with global test regulations (NHTSA, FMVSS, EuroNCAP, etc.) and third-party test procedures (IIHS).